On page 1, Kambili is saying how things started to fall apart when her brother didn't go to Church and her papa got mad. I think this is a connection to give us a glimpse further into the book by showing us that her papa gets mad when things don't go his way.
On page 32, she says "I heard the sounds. Swift, heavy thuds on my parents' hand-carved bedroom door" " I closed my eyes and started to count. Counting made it seem not that long" "Mama was slung over his shoulder like the jute sacks of rice his factory workers bought in bulk." Jaja said " Theres blood on the floor". I think by her telling us that she starts to count because it always makes it seem not as long since she usually doesn't make it to twenty shows us that this happens often and that it's been repeated over and over. They have to clean up their own mothers blood and there is nothing they can do about it.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/814pufTaYEL.jpg
No comments:
Post a Comment