Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Kaffir Boy

When I was reading "Kaffir Boy" I noticed a lot of different meanings behind the story. The most prominent would have to be the usage of colors. In the beginning he talks about how his school, full of black children, is different than the school full of white children. How for his school he must wait and run to cross the street while the children have a man helping guide traffic with a signs.

On lines 20-25 he is talking about what the white people have at their school versus what his school does not have. How they have immaculate lawns, a new driveway for the school, lots of bright yellow buses, bright flowers, swings, etc while at his school doesn't have school buses or very many books.

I think this is very ironic because even now you still see a lot of these traits still in our current time. Even though separate schools aren't a thing anymore, there’s still schools that have a surplus of supplies while others are lacking in that area. Where as a school in Winslow might not have such great teachers, or lots of books/computers, and then there’s schools like Timber Creek that have the privilege to have many computers, a big library, teachers with a better education.

On line 59 Granny says that Master Clyde is older than her grandson, he is much bigger. I think it’s crazy that while trying to put Master Clyde up and compliment him, she puts her own grandson down to fit in and feel more accepted with the white family. I feel like the author wrote and added this in the story to go along with lines 77-79 when Mrs. Smith tells Granny that her food will right near the washing machine. I think she said that just to remind her that she isn’t eating where the rest of the family does, almost as if she’s holding her power over her.

No comments:

Post a Comment